Shimano Vanford Spinning Reel
Over a decade of engineering advancements has gone into making the Shimano Vanford Spinning Reel! This reel is designed with Shimano’s G Free Body, which allows the reel to sit closer to the rod, moving its center of gravity and your hand’s positions. This helps reduce fatigue and enhance your comfort! The durable body of this reel is coated in the X-Shield coating, to help this reel resist corrosion. Shimano’s X-Protect keeps water from entering the essential parts of the reel. The X-Protect is a water-repellent coating specifically designed labyrinth that is made to channel water.
The Shimano Vanford Spinning Reel has a Cross Carbon Drag system that provides you with a wider range of drag settings, all within one of the smoothest drag performances on the market today! The spool features the Propulsion Line Management System, which is a new design to the lip that helps extend your casts and helps to prevent knots and backlashes. To maintain the superior quality, Shimano has included their Silent Drive, which has eliminated any gaps or wobbles to reduce friction and create one of the most tolerant, sturdy reels to ever hit the market! If you’re looking for one of the most state of the art reels available today, you need to check out the Shimano Vanford Spinning Reel!
- Aero Wrap II
- This two-speed oscillation system layers the line onto the spool in a crisscross pattern that reduces line-to-line friction for longer casts. AeroWrap reels utilize a patented worm gear design to move the spool upward quickly and downward slowly to wind the line in a precise pattern, reducing friction, and giving smoother, longer casting ability.
- CI4+ is an advanced version of the original CI4. This highly technical carbon material maintains 2.5 times more rigidity than CI4. While improving lightness and rigidity, the body and rotor are further reduced in size and weight.
- Cross Carbon Drag
- This drag material provides a wider range of drag settings, along with the smoothest Shimano drag performance ever.
- G Free Body
- G Free Body technology has been developed to shift the reel's center of gravity closer to the rod. By moving the center of gravity closer to the anglers hand position, the G Free Body helps to reduce fatigue and enhance casting comfort.
- Micro Module Gear II
- State-of-the-art, gear tooth surface design and MicroModule Gear II, are further advanced through Shimano's exclusive manufacturing technology. The surfaces of the drive gear and pinion gear have been analyzed and updated from the ground up in pursuit of perfection.
- Propulsion Line Management System
- The most obvious component of the Propulsion Line Management System is the new Propulsion spool lip design. Through tens of thousands of casting tests and computer simulations it has been determined that this new spool lip design provides longer casting distances than a standard spool lip design while preventing backlashes and wind knots from forming.
- S A-RB
- These bearings have been through the same process as Shimano's A-RB bearings, but feature shields on both sides of the bearings that reduce the possibility of salt or sand inhibiting the bearing's rotation.
- Silent Drive
- From the fundamental, whole body design to the most intricate parts of the drive train, including the drive gear, wormshaft, wormshaft pin and wormshaft gear, every piece has been carefully reviewed, and the smallest clearance gaps and wobbles have been eliminated to the highest tolerances.
- By combining our water repellent coating and our specially designed, water channeling, labyrinth construction, X Protect provides high-level water resistance without sacrificing light gear and rotor rotation.
- X-Shield & X-Protect combine to provide extreme water resistance in the harshest conditions.
- Waterproof Drag
- With the use of rubber gaskets the drag is sealed against intrusion of the elements such as water and dust.
Ratings & Reviews
I was able to test out a 2500HG Vanford on a G Loomis 7'1 NRX medium spinning rod for a week in N Michigan catching trophy smallies, walleye, etc. Being a diehard Ci4 fan, I was initially shocked when Shimano moved to the Vanford. However, after a week of heavy use, I feel the Vanford is an improvement (Ci4 is still great!). The Vanford is lighter, casts further, somehow is even smoother and should hold up as well or better than the Ci4. I don't plan on immediately upgrading reels, but when needed, I won't hesitate to add another Vanford to the mix.