Shimano Thunnus CI4 Saltwater Spinning Reel
Shimano Thunnus CI4 Saltwater Spinning Reels are lightweight and have the power to stop big fish. Thunnus takes a page from Shimano's Bicycle Division using Carbon materials in high impact situations. The Thunnus CI4 is a response to all the anglers out there who wanted ease of use and functionality in a lighter weight reel. The Thunnus CI4 weighs up to 7 ounces lighter than the original Thunnus reels without sacrificing any power. Due to new drag systems for the main drag and the baitrunner drag, the Thunnus CI4 is the most efficient live bait spinning reel on the market with unmatched adjustability for fishing any bait in any condition as well as the smooth stopping power that this generation of Thunnus will be known for.
Versatility is the hallmark of Thunnus CI4 reels. Casting plugs, drifting live bait, slow trolling and more the Thunnus CI4 can do it all. This reel features a baitrunner feature which when engaged allows fish to run with the bait freely, without drag. When you want to set the hook flip down the switch and the main drag takes over.
- Approved for use in Saltwater
- Lightweight CI4 Frame and Rotor (Aluminum on TU12000 CI4 models)
- Aluminum sideplate
- Paladin Gear Durability Enhancement
- S-Concept, S-Rotor, S-Arm Cam, Direct Drive Mechanism (Thread-In Handle Attachment), Oversized Septon Grips for Power and Comfort, WP Drag (Waterproof Drag)
- Machined Aluminum Handle
- Dartainium II Drag Washers (Cross Carbon)
- Repairable Clicker
- Floating Shaft
- Rated for use with Mono, Fluorocarbon and PowerPro line
- These stainless steel ball bearings are specially treated to drastically increase the corrosion resistance of the bearing. These bearings will last at least 10 times longer than standard stainless steel ball bearings in high salinity environments.
- The ultimate in lightweight design.
- This feature eliminates wobble during the retrieve by counter balancing the rotor to enhance sensitivity and smoothness. By using computer balancing, an approach similar to car tire balancing, we are able to redistribute the rotor weight to create smooth rotation and eliminate vibrations.
- Fluidrive II
- Building upon the successes of Fluidrive, Fluidrive II features a large master gear polished using a wrapping process, increasing the efficiency of the retrieve.
- HAGANE Gear
- With amazing strength and durability, the HAGANE Gear is at the very heart of the reel. Shimano, through the application of state-of-the-art technologies, gives you the long-lasting smoothness and pleasure that you feel when you first use a reel, over and over again. No cutting work is applied to the teeth of the drive gear. Instead the entire surface is calculated in minute detail by special 3D design and then formed by Shimano's cold forging technology. The result is assured resilience. It's the fruit of Shimano's inexhaustible pursuit for durability; the strength and power of forged metal continues to represent the fundamental concept of Shimano reels.
- Propulsion Line Management System
- The most obvious component of the Propulsion Line Management System is the new Propulsion spool lip design. Through tens of thousands of casting tests and computer simulations it has been determined that this new spool lip design provides longer casting distances than a standard spool lip design while preventing backlashes and wind knots from forming.
- The SR-Concept combines the new concept of Reliance with all aspects of the S-Concept: Smooth, Silent and Strong. The Reliance Concept, or R-Concept, means that dreams in reel design are now evolving into reality. The result of the use of the new S-R Concept in design is the development of many exciting new features.
- Super Stopper II
- Uses a one-way roller bearing that eliminates back-play. This provides the angler with instant hook setting power.
Ratings & Reviews
by Hwyn. -
Having (2) Shimano 3000 @ 8 years old and working great, figure a 4000 will hold more line. Fishing the Columbia River for Salmon, this Salt Water Tund Rig meets the needs for the River just fine. Easy and light weight Thunnis is an pleasure to fish with on a 13' Noodle type rod.
by B-Wreck -
I mainly use this reel for inshore fishing. Along with the St. Croix Mojo Surf rod I get further distance casting which allows me to get my bait out in the channels where the big game fish are. The reel is easy to adjust to your comfort likings and balances the St, Croix MOJO rod out perfect. Defintely a great combo to have. I see better casting results as far as accuracy and distance with no tangle ups.