Shimano Calcutta D Round Casting Reel
Select from the models below
Shimano Calcutta D Round Casting Reels offer a whole new design to the reel series that has become a classic with both fresh and saltwater anglers. These reels come in sizes for serious cranking and with the power, rigidity and durability for season after season use. With Shimano's 'S Compact Body' for better in the hand comfort, the new Calcutta D reels will lead a new Round Era for anglers who look for quality, function, design and longevity.
The New Calcutta D reels feature X-Ship, an innovative double bearing supported pinion gear design providing a smooth, effortless retrieve and Shimano's new X-Drag design - the reel handle has been repositioned closer to the body to increase cranking leverage, rigidity and torque.
- These stainless steel ball bearings are specially treated to drastically increase the corrosion resistance of the bearing. These bearings will last at least 10 times longer than standard stainless steel ball bearings in high salinity environments.
- HAGANE Body
- The HAGANE Body is a metal reel body with high rigidity. The body stiffness and impact resistance virtually eliminates body flexing. The result transforms the angler's actions directly into cranking power. It's efficiency through strength.
- HEG consists of not only the gears, but also the frame, setplate, and handle-side sideplate. First we increased the size of the drive gear and the pinion gear to offer increased leverage and power. By using a one-piece frame that incorporates the setplate and adding a one-piece stamped sideplate, we have eliminated flex in the drive train that causes gears to bind under pressure.
- Metal Series
- The metal construction showcased in some of our finest reels now appears throughout our line of Metal Series products. Metal frames not only keep moving parts in precise alignment, they also feature the use of the latest anodizing, plating and painting techniques for beautiful and durable finishes.
- SF Super Free Spool
- SF was designed to eliminate friction on the spool shaft during the cast. In standard baitcasting reels, when the clutch bar is pressed down, the pinion gear is freed and actually can drag on the spool shaft creating friction that can limit the length of a cast. With SF the pinion gear is supported by a ball bearing so that when the clutch is disengaged in preparation for a cast, the pinion gear and spool shaft are kept in perfect alignment. The result is zero friction upon the spool shaft.
- Super Stopper
- Uses a one-way roller bearing that eliminates back-play. This provides the angler with instant hook setting power.
- X-SHIP provides improved gear durability. By supporting the pinion gear on both ends with bearings, the pinion gear maintains precise alignment with the drive gear. This means the gears will stay in the same position under the heaviest loads. The added benefit is that friction between the spool shaft and gear are eliminated. This will enhance the casting performance of the reel with lighter lures, and allow for longer casts.
- VBS uses centrifugal force rather than magnets to aid in controlling the cast. When turned on, the individual brake weights are forced outward at the beginning of the cast when backlashes most often occur, causing friction that reduces the speed of the spool. Once the spool speed begins to slow, the pressure with which the brake weights contact the raceway lessens, allowing the spool to continue spinning.
- Platinum Premier Service Plan
- With the Platinum Service Plan, when submitting your Warranty Registration card points, you will receive coupons for discounts on clean and lubes (from half off to free!) Also included are Priority Shipping labels guaranteeing 48-hour turn around time from Shimano or participating Shimano Authorized Warranty Centers.
Ratings & Reviews
Perfect gimmick-free 5 star round casting reel
I bought one of these (a 400) for Musky fishing, loaded with 50# braid, haven't been disappointed as it is a superb reel. The drag is finely adjustable and extremely smooth. The casting brake knob is similarly very finely adjustable. The double handle is comfortable and ergonomically efficient. It has very clean looks, no gimmicks. This is a reel that can handle powerful fresh and saltwater fish. My brother asked me why they would name a reel after a city with a reputation. I wasn't able to answer except that the reel is a superior item, THE premium round casting reel on the market. Highly recommended!