Okuma Helios SX Spinning Reel
Okuma Helios SX Spinning Reels are the culmination of superior design, materials, and construction coming together to create light, powerful spinning reels for freshwater and inshore saltwater. These reels utilize Okuma's C-40X long-strand carbon fiber in the body, sideplate and rotor for superior strength, rigidity, and precision. Other great features include Torsion Control Armor, Cyclonis Flow Rotors, and high-performance bearings to provide amazing performance.
- Lightweight C-40X carbon frame and sideplates
- C-40X Cyclonic Flow Rotor for corrosion resistance
- TCA: Torsion Control Armor reduces twisting
- 8HPB + 1RB corrosion resistant stainless steel bearings
- Quick-Set anti-reverse roller bearing
- Precision machine cut brass pinion gear
- ALG: Precision AlumiLite alloy main gear and oscillating gears
- Rigid, machined aluminum, anodized handle
- Lightweight, EVA handle knobs for comfort
- Precision Elliptical Gearing system
- Machined aluminum, 2-tone anodized spool
- Heavy duty, solid aluminum bail wire
- RESII: Computer balanced Rotor Equalizing System
- One-year manufacturer's limited warranty
Ratings & Reviews
Solid reel with features found in far more expensive models
by professor fisher
After using and wearing-out several Pflueger and Mitchell reels, I decided to try Okuma. I started using the Helios SX 40s for steelhead trout in Jan 2017. After handling about 100 steelhead, the reel remains smooth and tight. The finish on the reel is wearing poorly, but the "nuts & bolts" remain good as new. The performance of the reel, namely the drag, has not diminished with fairly heavy use, not only with steelhead trout but also with less vigorous species of fish such as large & smallmouth bass. The reel is far superior to any Jarden-made products in the same price range; Jarden reels with long-strand carbon fiber components, carbon fiber drag washers, etc... are far more expensive. The Helios SX is a step-up from other Okuma reels that I have used, including the Trio and RTX series of reels, but I remain uncertain whether the few upgrades to the Helios SX over the Inspira series warrants the extra cost.
Inexpensive, smooth operating & a light weight reel.
I purchased 2 of the HSX-30 models a few months ago and I like them so far. Light weight, solid drag system & priced right. One thing I forgot to mention they look really cool. I have 2 Stratic CI4's and so far I cannot tell the difference except $100 cheaper. Until I see how they hold up over time is the only reason I didn't give them a 5 Star Rating.